Who we are

37.000 m2

distribution center


wholesale customers



There are 30 trucks on the road every day, supplying nearly 200 Pets Place Boerenbond shops and 800 wholesale customers.

IJsvogel Retail’s head office is located in Ede. IJsvogel Retail owns the Pets Place retail formula. At our distribution centre, we seek to continuously optimise our processes. This increases the availability of our products, thus increasing customer satisfaction. Online orders are delivered the next day and we have over 18,000 different items in stock. IJsvogel Retail is a family business. Ard and Margriet Malenstein together own 80 percent of the shares in IJsvogel Holding. The remaining 20 percent is owned by 5Square.



shops in the
Netherlands and Belgium

IJsvogel Retail’s roots lie in the Brabant countryside.

That is where, in 1896, the Noordbrabantsche Christelijke Boerenbond was founded: a cooperative run for and by farmers. This organisation grew into the Boerenbond as we know it today. IJsvogel Holding took over the Boerenbond shops in 2013. The story of Pets Place began in 1985, when the first Mies Max shop opened. Thanks to a unique ‘scoop your own pet food’ system, the formula was so successful that more shops soon followed. The name was changed to Pets Place in 1992. Pet supplies wholesaler IJsvogel Retail took over the formula in 2001.


different items in stock

Our distribution centre is the beating heart of IJsvogel Retail.

Driven by the high growth, both online and offline, the distribution centre was substantially expanded to 37,000 m² in 2021. Here, we keep over 18,000 different products in stock. There are 30 trucks on the road every day, supplying our 175 shops and 800 wholesale customers.



Our staff and customers share a great passion for animals and outdoor life.

We aim to have a diverse workforce and an inclusive organisation. We embrace each other’s differences and offer everybody fair career opportunities. We respect everyone’s background. Different perspectives, backgrounds and insights enhance awareness of and responsiveness to current social issues.


satisfied customers
served every day

Advice turns our customers into experts.

We turn our customers into experts on outdoor living and animals. We do this by providing expert advice. Our customers can rely on well-trained in-store staff and committed customer service. Happy pets and sustainable enjoyment country life are the main pillars of our promise.


shops with
Vets Place vet clinic

We don’t think of service as something extra; it’s the heart of our organisation.

We like to make life easier for our customers by offering a wide range of services. A number of our shops include a dog wash or a grooming salon, for example, or even a Vets Place veterinary clinic. We also offer insurance through Petplan. This helps ensure that every animal can receive the care it deserves, without owners having to face unexpected costs.

pp image

The ultimate pet shop in the Netherlands and Belgium.

We want to contribute to animal happiness, putting animals and their welfare at the centre of our business. Animals are vulnerable and dependent on us. Keeping pets comes with responsibilities. Pets Place aims to offer support and take the worry out of caring. We turn pet owners into experts so that they can make the right choices.

pp image

The ultimate pet and country life shop in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Our ambition is to enable customers to enjoy outdoor life to the fullest while respecting the environment. Now and in the future. By offering a wide range of sustainable and contemporary garden products, we make a green lifestyle accessible to everyone. Our customers can rely on expert advice to help them become garden or outdoor life experts and make the right choices.